Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Fredom of the Call (or "See, I'm Not the Only One")

Pastor Chris Hall writes a wonderful piece on the freedom one has upon receiving a call.

The money quote: "So I have freedom. Freedom to decide where I want to be, and what is good for my family. I don’t have to fret and moan and vision-quest for God’s will. I don’t have to wring my hands and sweat and fear to make a wrong decision. He’s already revealed it. God said “yes” to both."

Sometimes we get this idea that God has every minute detail of our life mapped out, and that He's up in heaven watching us smacking His head saying, "No, NO! I had wanted you to have the French Toast for breakfast this morning, not the Swedish Pancakes... why, why must you deviate from My plan!?!?"

As we hear in Galatians 5:1 - "For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery." We do not live in constant fear of thwarting God's hidden will - we do not have to pry behind the curtains of heaven to figure out what God really wants us to do.

He has revealed His will to us in His Word - and when that Word leaves options open, we are free. For my friend Pastor Hall, God has revealed two options, two calls - one in Enid, one in Tulsa. And in six months, whichever places Pastor Hall is serving will have a fine, faithful pastor. And I am most glad to see that he views this as freedom.

We ought not submit again to a yoke of slavery -- and the burden of trying to figure out what God wants us to do apart from His revealed Word is slavery of the most terrible kind. It is slavery to the fears of a sinful heart and the imaginations of a fallen mind. Christ has set you free - the Word of God has set you free - cling to Him.

1 comment:

Christopher D. Hall said...

"No, NO! I had wanted you to have the French Toast for breakfast this morning, not the Swedish Pancakes... why, why must you deviate from My plan!?!?""

That's your money quote. Lol.